Completion of restoration work on River Ebro in Labastida
November 2021 saw the completion of restoration work on the River Ebro in Labastida (Álava), in an area belonging to the Natura 2000 Network.
The actions taken centred on small plots in highly degraded areas of the municipality, close to the river. This is a dry, highly degraded area so high-sunlight, rustic wood species such as Quercus ilexballota, Quercus coccifera and Rosmarinus oficinalis have been planted.
This replanting of the area serves various purposes:
- Native vegetation will stabilise the soil and prevent surface run-off.
- A green corridor along the river is created for native species.
- A plant-based protective screen is thus provided that can provide multi-purpose protection for the River Ebro and filter out leachates.
- The plant cover also helps fix carbon.
- Major improvements are obtained in environmental and landscape characteristics, providing a habitat and shelter for many local species including European mink and otters.
This scheme is part of action C.5.1: Natural solutions in river basins.
Cooperating bodies: URA & Provincial Council of Álava